Thursday, August 4, 2016

An Introduction

Hi all, Ryan here.  I'm a student currently working on a Master's Degree in New Zealand, but deep down inside, I'm a red-blooded American Midwesterner.  One of the starkest differences I've noticed since arriving in the land of Kiwis a few months ago, is the drastic disparity in the price of alcohol.  Hard liquor is prohibitively expensive.  Bottom shelf beer is also going to run you double the price of what it would in my native rural Minnesota.  There are no 30 racks of Red Dog or Hamm's for $15 to be found here.  Instead, case of 15 Double Browns is going to cost you $20, or more.

Not one to be discouraged, I've resorted to other means of getting by booze fix.  As it turns out, New Zealand is a major producer of wine, so wine prices here are relatively reasonable.  This blog is about my journey through the the wine rack of my local grocery store, as I seek out the perfect budget bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment